Old friends and new*

So most of my European friends are now back in my life (as in American friends that have studied in Europe this semester. I'm so cool now that I have to make that distinction). I forgot how much I enjoyed them, since I haven't spent time with them in a year.

Mi piaciono.

I don't know about you, but I sometimes have a difficult time balancing. I believe in the value of the chase, in the art of "playing hard to get," as silly as it is. As in dating. Like, in not coming on too strong, keeping the other guessing, etc. But at the same time, my blossoming feminism is encouraging me to shed these archaic dating rituals and just go after what I want. I don't know how to balance these two drives. Do you? This is not rhetorical.

And here's a shot of Eddie on one of the rare occasions that he is out of his shell

I'm really interested to see how long he will survive in the environment of my bathroom counter. Yesterday I caught him whilst he was emerging out of his shell. That was really exciting. But then I took a lot of pictures and he got scared and slushed back in (I wasn't sure what verb to use. I wanting to say "gooeyed" back in, but that makes no sense. He is more gooey than slushy though).

And tomorrow is my last day of class. Woot! I'm ignoring the fact, though, that a lot of my friends at other schools are already done with their finals. That's an injustice.

*The significance of my post title is that my European-American friends are old, and Eddie is new.

 

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Stumbled upon your blog and enjoyed reading. I'm giggling about Eddie your pet snail. Maybe you can find out what he eats and feed him something:)

Unknown said...

eddie is a cutie. And to answer your question--I have problems balancing that as well. I mean, i'd like to act upon things, but i think i like to be chased more.

Unknown said...

eddie is a cutie. And to answer your question--I have problems balancing that as well. I mean, i'd like to act upon things, but i think i like to be chased more.

Nancy said...

That is a great picture of you and Julia and Sandy!

Oh, and there's my grandsnail!

On the other topic, I'm of the old school (of course). . . I think guys like to do the pursuing and wooing. But I know times have changed . . . but, really, have males, and human nature? Hmm . . . I'm showing my age.

Ask Will.

Wil Carmack said...

I assume that by "hypothetical" you meant rhetorical"...
And I don't have a good answer for this because I've never really had a normal relationship, but I think you need to to what you want, and go after what you want. you can still humor the guy and make him feel like he is doing something. (haha. i dunno.)

Anonymous said...

I wrote this long comment that stated my opinion on the matter of balancing out the being chased thing, but I read over it and thought it was really dumb. So I erased it.

The basis of it was that I have a hard time balancing it as well. But I know myself enough to know that I love to feel wanted by someone, so it's nice to be chased. It's nice to know the guy thinks you are worth the effort.

Nancy said...

Okay, so I wrote my comment up there. Then I got to thinking that I DID ask your dad out after we'd only had one date. (I had a coupon for a free meal and I knew it was his birthday.) That was the first time I'd ever asked any boy out. ...... And I married him!!!! (lucky for you.)

caroline said...

Eddie is so cute! And so is your haircut! (I dont think I've told you that yet.)
The whole balancing thing is so hard, I wonder if anyone really has it figured out... I'm horrible about it, I've always been prone to push people so far away no one ever really chased hard enough to reach me.. You should ask Rob, haha poor guy I really put him through the ringer... But as it turns out, it was oh so worth it! (at least I think so)