An Idea

I'm sitting at my home in good ol' Colleyville, TX (uh oh, you know where I live now. But I guess I've mentioned Waco many times and am still alive. I'll be ok). It's the long anticipated break of Spring, even though it's not Spring yet, we'll let that slide (am I supposed to capitalize seasons? I'm never sure). Today is the long awaited shower of the weddings, which sounds dangerous. I just imagine wedding presents pouring down from the sky--you need to watch your eyes for those box corners.

I have this grand dream of finishing Betty Friedan's The Feminine Mystique this week, which I have to write a book report for next Wednesday. I never read as much on breaks as I plan to, though. I also would rather watch a movie or sit around with friends or sleep. Those are all valid pursuits on the break of spring, I think. But I have two hundred more pages I must read. We'll see how that goes.

I know I've mentioned this before, but I really like volunteering at World Hunger Farm. Yesterday I sorted and cleaned lettuce and other miscellaneous produce. Because of the rain and snow, the vegetables that had been harvested were really muddy. I know it doesn't sound very exciting, and it wasn't really exciting, but I enjoyed it. I guess because it's just so different from my normal day acitivities. And to see food come from the ground to my plate is really neat. I think if my plans don't work out this summer, if I don't get an internship, then I want to be a live-in volunteer there. Live-ins live there (obviously) in exchange for 20 hours of work per week. I think how it works is that they work on the farm until about lunch time and then have the rest of the time free. And weekends are free as well, unless you have weekend duty. I would learn lots of cool stuff--like how to milk goats and about vegetables and chickens and rabbits and cooking and living off the land.

So that's an idea.

 

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Uh oh. I know where you live.

That World Hunger Farm sounds so interesting.

Nancy said...

That is a good, funny comment you wrote on Rob's blog. (about a blog)

Julia said...

well, sweet Laura, i haven't had the pleasure of visiting italy yet. :( so far in europe, this little "italian" restaurant has had the best pizza.

i miss you.

i like your picture and your heart. :)

Julia said...

well, sweet Laura, i haven't had the pleasure of visiting italy yet. :( so far in europe, this little "italian" restaurant has had the best pizza.

i miss you.

i like your picture and your heart. :)