I am Woman; hear me Roar


I finished The Feminine Mystique by Betty Friedan yesterday. I read it for my Women in American Society Class and I have a book report over it due Wednesday. It was a really enlightening book. I only have the intro paragraph of my paper written, but I'll quote myself and say, "Reading the book was not only an interesting lesson in the history of American culture, but also was helpful to read as a woman myself."

Without going all into it, I'll just tell you one of the biggest things I took from the book. My future makes me kind of anxious. Like, I don't know what my life will be after graduation--Grad school? If so, studying what? Peace Corps? Teach ForAmerica? Working? Some sort of other crazy adventure? The uncertainty is kind of scary. But Ms. Friedan encouraged me that such anxiety shouldn't be run away from. That's what most women did in mid 20th century (the book was published in the early 60s). Following their interests and passions--whether it be in art, business, writing, medicine--meant much risk and uncertainty, and it was much easier and safer to just retreat back into a home and tend to clean floors and healthy children.   


"Anxiety occurs at the point where some emerging potentiality or possibility faces the individual, some possibility of fulfilling his existence, but this very possibility involves the destroying of present security, which thereupon gives rise to the tendency to deny the new potentiality."
So I've decided to embrace my anxiety and my uncertain future.  I get to have an uncertain future.  I don't have to just have babies.  Nothing against babies, I love babies,  babies are precious, but there is so much more I want to do with my life.  I want a life.  And I get to do what I want.  I have a future to be anxious about.

Roar.

 

4 comments:

Elizabeth H. said...

A friend of mine did recruiting for Teach for America, then taught for them for 2 years and just recently got accepted to Harvard University for grad school! If you want his contact info (if you decide to go that route), let me know! He is very well connected with them!

AL PAL said...

laura that book sounds awesome! hope you had a good st. patty's day and you're going home this weekend right?? and get back on facebook soon please! AHHH

Nancy said...

Roar!!!!

Great post!!!!!

Molly said...

ah, yeah it's me, i am technologically impaired and can't figure out how to do it right. when i try to imbed things from youtube it says its too big. i like your blog. i'm glad you're all women empowering. gender studies is great stuff. miss you.