Politics

Happy MLK Day! It has been quite a dreary day here in Wacko Waco. It's cold and wet; the kind of wet where you feel like a pansy for using an umbrella, but get moist when you don't. It's misty.

This morning I was bored and so decided to become informed. I Wikipedia-ed some of the presidential candidates. I was sitting in the living room whilst roommates around me were studying. I think I started to annoy them with my random facts and questions. "Did you know Obama was born in Honolulu, lived in Indonesia, and his father is Kenyan?" "McCain was a POW in Vietnam and now can't lift his arms over his head! And he wasn't bad looking back in the day." "Why do people hate Hilary Clinton so much?" None of us really knew the answer to that question. I mean, all of the candidates have those who are for and against them, but a lot of people have especially negative feelings towards that woman. Why? This isn't rhetorical.

Politics were discussed again tonight at the kitchen table amongst Jenny, Tinsley, and myself. We didn't talk about the election per-say, but just went through the list of hot topics and gave our two cents: abortion, gay marriage, the environment, immigration, captial punishment. It was fun. We didn't always have congruent views, but we didn't fight about it. We just said, "Hm. Ok." and moved on.

Something that annoys me is when my peers say they probably won't vote in the upcoming election because they aren't informed enough, like it's beyond their control. Just become informed! It's not that hard. When people say that, they're basically saying they are lazy bums. What I did this morning wasn't difficult. And tonight I was perusing CNN's website and found a helpful page where they spell out for you what each candidate thinks about the big issues. You lazy people should check it out.

In other news, this time tomorrow I may be a server at Buffalo Wild Wings. I'll let you know how it goes.

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I checked out that website (I am one of those lazy people) and I feel much more informed now. And it's nice to know that I still support the same candidate that I did BEFORE I knew anything about his views. I must be a good judge of character.

AL PAL said...

im a lazy person too...im going to check out that website!...later...for realz tho! and i am kinda glad you deactivated facebook because now i check your blog more! and this encourages me to write in mine more! so THANKS

Nancy said...

Golly gee. I just wrote a long answer to 'why people hate Hillary so much' and it was accidentally deleted. Hmm. Maybe you weren't supposed to read it. Ah, but you already know I don't like Hillary. The 'why' is basically because of lack of credentials and character. And I don't want her husband living in the White House with free time on his hands.
(That's my short, short answer.)

Elizabeth H. said...

Ditto what your mom said about Hillary.

Also, it IS so important for people to educate themselves on the issues and vote. Its exercising one of our most important rights and one of our only ways to actually have an active say in what direction our country will go (whichever way an individual chooses). Plus, we have men and women fighting for that right and for people to sit idly by and not care enough to read one or two pages worth of GOOD information and take 10 minutes out of their day to vote(when they likely spend tons more surfing the web)... is a sad disgrace. Off my soapbox! Good for you for getting politic-ed up! :)