Happy April!

Yesterday was a really good day, so I'm having high hopes about today. Class was normal, and afterwards I met some girls from UBC at Common Grounds. We've decided to start a new group called "Intra" that would be involved with meeting the needs of UBCers. I feel like, at UBC we do a lot of discussion about theology and social action and community service and have fun groups (like I went to a new UBC Yoga group last night) but we don't really talk a lot about each other. I want UBC to be more than just another activity people are involved in, but a family. A place people can find support. So we going to start some sort of prayer request system via Intra and contact people who want to be contacted or to talk to someone or whatever. I'm supposed to make an announcement about at Church on Sunday. Scary.

So that's a new fun idea in my mind. I also went to a lecture on campus yesterday by Wilma Mankiller, former chief of the Cherokee Nation. She talked about the changing roles of indigenous women and leadership of women in general. It was interesting. She's an amazing woman. She has been awarded 18 honorary doctorates (soon to be 19), among many other awards and honors she has received.

So that was cool. I also went to that UBC Yoga group, like I mentioned. It was fun doing Yoga at church. At first I felt like I was at a church sleepover or naptime group as we moved all the furniture out of the backside and laid out our mats and took off our shoes. It was neat.

And now I have a new day on my hands. And a new month! We'll see what happens.

And Bailey turns 20 tomorrow!

 

4 comments:

Rob said...

There's a woman speaking on women in leadership, and her last name is "Mankiller"? That's too good to be true. Do you think she has that name because she comes from a long line of women who were hostile toward masculine societal constructions? You know how like in old times a person's last name was indicative of their profession? Maybe her great-great-grandmother was a literal Man Killer. So now, she's making great-grandma proud, yet in a less bloody fashion. (perhaps her grandmother's first name was Ima. Ima Mankiller.)

caroline said...

thanks! I want to do yoga at church! We should start a yoga group for echo over the summer

Anonymous said...

Oh, Rob...you silly, silly man.

You know, I haven't really felt like 20 was that cool or special these past few weeks. I wasn't very excited. But really, for some reason when I read your simple statement about me turning 20, I all of a sudden felt much older and cooler. Like it's a big deal.

Thanks. I needed that.

Nancy said...

I found out that scuba diver didn't scuba dive after all! His scuba dive outfit had a hole in it - and he said that, after all, he didn't need to get in the water.

Soooo- that means YOU can be the first to scuba dive our pool.

And Rob's comment was funny-funny.