Eddie

Many weeks ago, I rented a tent from Baylor for my backpacking trip. When I got it I opened it and laid out the tent to make sure everything was accounted for, and wrapped in the tent I found a shell. I thought it was really random and kind of cool and so put it in my pocket. When I got home I took it out of my pocket and put it on the counter in my restroom. There is has sat for many weeks, just taking up space. That is until . . .

On Sunday morning I took a long shower. When I stepped out, I noticed that my shell was not where it had been for the past month, but was instead perched on top of my soap dispenser, in such a way that gravity should cause it to fall. I tried to take it off, but felt some resistance. Something inside the shell was suctioned to my soap! Well, I did take it off and looked inside and saw a bunch of gray gooiness. Apparently, all this time there has been something alive in the shell! Later in the day I checked on the shell only to find it was somewhere else on the counter. I was really amused at this point and decided to give it a name--Eddie.

This morning Tinsley and I caught the creature in the act of moving. It's a large snail! It's so gross and green and gooey and has four antennae. It was traveling up my soap dispenser again. I researched snails this morning and found out some of them hibernate in the winter, and so that must be what Eddie has been doing all this time. I also went on a website about keeping snails as pets and looked up what different kind of food they eat. So now, he is sitting in an open tupperware container with a carrot placed next to him (I'm on campus). I took a picture of the set up before I left so I can be sure to know if he moved or not in the mean time.

Pretty exciting stuff.

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so neat. Seriously.

So neat.

Cute little Eddie.

Nancy said...

Does this mean that Eddie is my 'grandsnail?!!

Wil Carmack said...

WOW! that is crazy.

Unknown said...

hahah that's funny.

are you going to let him go or keep him??