Out

I'm sitting on the couch in my apartment. I moved out of the farm today. I feel really weird. It's feels weird to know that my stuff isn't there anymore, that I won't be going back there later tonight. It feels uncomfortable.

I have had such a great summer. I've learned so much and met so many great people that I hope to keep in touch with. It was nice to live a different life for a little while. To step outside of normal society. There is definitely a different culture with farm people. I was thinking that when I was hanging out at a pub last night with some farm peeps and we were discussing the different methods for castrating cows and goats (rubber band or knife?). I was a apart of a similar conversation over dinner last Friday night at the farm. Dinner! It was then I learned that some cultures use their teeth to castrate their goats. A human's mouth is cleaner than any knife they have.

Anywho, yes, farm culture. Like the fact that most of the girls have hairy legs. It's not big deal at all, in fact, it's kind of expected that we don't shave our legs. That was freeing. I would once every week, at the most. And I never saw any of the farm girls put on make up. I have worn mascara maybe twice this whole summer, and that's the only make up that has touched my face.

I'm glad I did it, and I'm sad it's over.

What's next life?

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a good summer. But I heard you were coming home today. Was this wrong?

robert said...

What's next? Peace Corps it sounds like---or just moving straight to Vermont. Your choice.

Nancy said...

You'll remember this summer all of your life.

I'm so glad you did it.
So glad.

Anonymous said...

i rearranged half of the room already....not to forget you but because i was sad and cleaning makes me feel better. so i had been looking forward to sleeping on a bed that wasn't up high or on the floor, but as i made up your bed into my bed i got even more sad because making my new bed just meant that you weren't there anymore. and i know you'll be in waco but it's different. i have really liked living with you.

Wil Carmack said...

I am glad your back! I am also glad you got to have the summer you had. The farm seemed like the perfect place for you to spend your last summer before graduation. Getting away from the city life is always a good, good thing. I hope to see you today.