Happy July!

I cooked lunch again today. It was kind of a last minute thing-decided yesterday- and so I didn't have much time to mentally prepare. It turned out really well though. I made four quiches, all by myself! The crust and everything. They turned out really good, if I do say so myself. And I do. I just did. Here it what was in them, aside from the eggs:

1. swiss chard, onions, garlic, cheddar cheese

2. tomato, basil, dill, swiss cheese with cheddar cheese baked in the crust

3. corn, kidney beans, with pecans baked in the crust

4. tomatos, potatoes, swiss and cheddar cheese


Phew. It was fun. Quiche is easy. And there is much room for creativity.

So cooking isn't so bad. It just takes confidence and literacy.

While I was cooking, there was a group of high school kids cleaning in the building and at one point I notice two girls standing in the doorway watching me. So I say hi and they say hi back and awkwardly stand there a few moments more.
"We were wondering what you're making?"

"I'm making some quiches."

"Oh . ."

Awkward silence

"We rotate who cooks, and today is my day. I don't cook a lot though so I'm kind of nervous, but it's fun."

Awkward silence.

"Um . . what's a quiche?"

"It's kind of like a pie but with eggs and usually vegetables or something in it. I think it orginated in France. They're pretty common. I'm sure you'll run into them again."

"Oh" (They didn't seem too excited about an egg pie)

The two girls exit


Did I know what a quiche was in high school? I'd like to think I did, but maybe I didn't. Did you?

 

9 comments:

Nancy said...

I did NOT know what a quiche was in high school, but I'm pretty sure you did. Hmm. Well, I'm not sure. Hmm.

By the way, I had my first quiche at the home of Lee and Peggy Johnson back in 1978! They served it with spinach salad, which I had never had before either!!
I owe a lot to Lee and Peggy! Like being more cultured.

Anonymous said...

what about the little tiny frozen quiches you run into at suburban parties?!
i guess i didn't know they were REAL food though.

Anonymous said...

AND what about the awesome soup??? and bread pudding?? ...collaborative?

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure I knew what quiches were in high school. But there were some obvious things that I didn't know about, so I guess it's okay that they didn't. People just learn different things based on their surroundings, I suppose.

robert said...

I was familiar with quiche in high school--in fact maybe even in junior high as well. Quiche is tasty, and easy, and delicious---uhm I guess that is two for tasting good and one for ease of making.

Anonymous said...

...but seriously, you really did rock the farm with those quiche's. deeelish:)

caroline said...

ooo i love quiche! I'm pretty sure I knew what it was in HS... but then again my mom had me cooking when I was practically still in diapers so no wonder...

Anonymous said...

i knew what quiche was!!i made them in high school. but then again, i studied french, so that makes sense. i'm so glad to know that you are enjoying cooking! you can make me dinner now!

Rach

Elizabeth H. said...

MMMM these quiches sound DELICIOUS! I love quiche and could eat it every single day... you're right, its SO easy to make and there are so many ways you can be creative with it!