Poem

A couple weeks ago we had a poetry night at the farm. We sat outside on a Sunday evening, sharing bread, cheese, wine, and poems-original and not.

Samson, an intern from Ghana, shared a poem he had written. I really appreciated his poem, so I asked for a copy of it:

WHAT DO YOU STAND FOR
It is dangerous not to have what you stand for
Whether it is food or drink
Have what you stand for
Whether it is religious or intellectual belief
Have what you stand for
Whether it is singleness or marriage
Have what you stand for
Whether it is about life or death
Have what you stand for

Develop a conviction not just an opinion
Opinion is what you hold
But conviction is something that holds you
You will argue about your opinion
But you will be ready to suffer for your conviction & if necessary die for it.
Your conviction might not make you popular
Your conviction might even earn you undesirable names
So should that make you succumb?
No. Never
Develop a conviction
What do you stand for?
For if you do not stand for anything
You will fall for anything

Convictions are hard to come by nowadays. I'm in the process of developing my own. I'm reading Muhammah: A Prophet For Our Time to better understand others' convictions.

So that's that.

 

3 comments:

Nancy said...

That is a beautiful poem.
Thanks for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

Laura -

ive heard beautiful things from my precious Melyssa . . . Thank you for loving her :)

hope to eventually have the pleasure of meeting you

*Enjoy your day*
natalie

Anonymous said...

Samson rocks my world. I read this poem for the first time just a few minutes ago and it is interesting because I have had a lot of similar thoughts swimming in my head the past few days. I think it's very beautiful and important- all that it says. <3
p.s. i just got john q. from peter/kristine fer ya