My papasan is comfy.

I am reading The Lost Message of Jesus by Steven Chalke and it has given me some thoughts. This particular chapter deals with the idea of being "saved" and "born again." Those words tend to make me cringe a little, and I'm glad to see that they do so to Steven Chalke too. It reminds me of a time during counselor training at Sky Ranch. While waiting to train on the jet skis, one of my fellow counselors asked me how I became "saved" and I told him my schpeel. Then I asked for his. And he said "This morning, I woke up and asked God to save me." And he says he is saved everyday. And I think that is beautiful.

In this book Chalke points out that in the Bible, Jesus only uses the phrase "born-again" twice and that was within one conversation with one guy--Nicodemus. "And yet it has become the basis for one of the most confusing, misused and abused, misunderstood and despised ideas in the history of the church." The Jesus of the Bible was more interested in the ongoing process of salvation. We are already saved and are continually learning to become and act like saved people all our lives. He quotes a bishop of the Church of England who, when asked if he was saved, replied, "I have been saved, I am being saved, and one day I will be saved." Isn't that beautiful?

My room is beautiful now too. I'm not as satisfied, though, as I thought I would be now that I'm all unpacked. It's just my room. The same. I like it, but it's just a room.

Class starts tomorrow and everywhere was crazy today--church, campus, the bookstore, Wal-Mart. I quickly returned to the sanctuary of my apartment, which is where I am now, snuggled in the papasan in the corner or my room.

 

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Those words on 'saved' are wonderful.
Thank you.

Julia said...

i love your last 5 posts. i can't wait to see you again.

love,
julsie

Anonymous said...

sorry i baled out last night. it got to be almost time to go; then i got still tired (meaning i had yet to recover from the weekend).
thanks for your comment, by the way, about the hipster article. i think it is very wise to note the one-sidedness of the article.
anyways. i think some people are going to common groudns tomorrow night (tuewday) because there is a good show, or some may go see kung fu panda at the dollar theater

Anonymous said...

Yeah... In the past few of years, It seems I keep being reminded and having this idea embellished upon-that our walk with God is such, and should be this daily thing,struggle,working out, whatever. It's very convenient (what our culture desires) to have a memory in our heads of a time when we said a prayer and because of it, we're "once saved, always saved" regardless of the way we choose to live now. I dunno. It's a mystery for sure. But I do know that I have been witness to good fruit(not just in my own life) coming from the lives of those that literally seek to "walk" with God daily, getting to know Him, and longing to see His will being done. I've heard that bishop quote before... very beautiful indeed.