Class Schmass

So I have had two days of classes. I find all of my classes interesting, so that is a major plus. As a reminder, I am taking

Family: A Global Prospective
Philosophy and the Arts
Contemporary Art
American Art
Intro to Gender Studies


Va bene. And I am working as a TA for an Art History professor. I started that job today, which mainly consisted of making copies and typing up attendance sheets. I wasted a lot of paper in trying to figure out the monster copy machine and wasted a lot of time trying to figure out Excel. It's cool though. I have my own cubicle with my own iMac next to Melissa's own cubicle and own iMac, and she is a pro and so I ask her important questions like how to turn my computer on. (When I was being shown my cubicle by one of the faculty members I was like "Sure! I know Macs well! I have one." And then I couldn't figure out how to turn the thing on!)

Here are some interesting facts from my Families in Global and Multicultural Perspective book:
-"1.2 billion of the world's population is absolutely poor, defined as living on less than dollar a day . . . over 900 million, or 70% of the poor are women."
-"In April 2001, the Netherlands became the first country in the world to offer full, legal marriage to same-sex couples."
-"In most of the developing world, homosexuality is still considered a mental illness and is punishable by imprisonment and even death."
-"The US has the highest rate of lone-parent families among industrialized nations, with one third of families headed by a single parent"


Interesting stuff, no? You can now pull those facts out at parties and sound education and concerned.

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i wonder why that is- about lone-parent families in america. tis interesting. and "sound education"? looks like a typo to me, laura. next time, it's points off. juuuuuust kidding.

Nancy said...

Interesting stuff, yes. Now I CAN sound education!

Being Beth said...

I don't think you know, but I read your blog -- I love the way you write and think. The post the other day about being saved was really amazing.

Hope you had a great birthday a couple weeks ago -- your party photo's on your mom's site looked like a lot of fun.

Also, I really enjoyed your posts about life on the farm -- you've have a wonderful experience.

Anyway, just wanted to comment.

Beth Lahaie