Weekend Duty

I have weekend duty at the farm this weekend. Each weekend two of us farmers are to stay at the farm all weekend and attend to animals and such that need attending to. Basically, keeping things alive--milking the goats (a lot), feeding the goats, rabbits, and chickens, collecting eggs, watering some plants--things like that. So that's me this weekend.

This morning was kind of frustrating. One of the chores was to let the dry goats (as in the goats we don't milk) out to pasture and feed them, but as soon as I walked in the gate carrying my bucket of feed, all fifteen of them (including one donkey--Lollita) swarmed at me and about six got out. So I had to chase them down. It was no bueno. They ran away from me, and only by coaxing them, one-by-one, with a bucket of feed could I lure them back in. It was an ordeal.

But I'm ok. I think I'm free until this afternoon for the second round of milking. Should be good times.

And apparently an unwritten duty of the weekend people is to write in the farm's blog. That's a lot of pressure. I'll be thinking about what I want to write, that is if my fellow weekender doesn't do it himself.

That reminds me of that Saturday morning cartoon The Weekenders. Do you remember them? I liked that show. I liked Saturday mornings. Cereal and cartoons. What else does a kid need?

 

5 comments:

Unknown said...

the weekenders!!! Love them!!

Nancy said...

Wow. You had to get those goats back in!!! Wow.
I guess no one was filming you ...?
Maybe you could reenact it!!

Wil Carmack said...

Hey. Good post. And thanks for talking to me on the phone the other day. It was good to talk to ya. I miss you. Hope to see you at my gig!

Molly said...

i used to watch the weekenders. and i'm jealous that pictures upload on your blog, for some reason it never works on mine, it just loads foreverrrrr.

Josh said...

I remember thinking the Weekenders was pretty cutting edge for its time. I liked the episode when they played pudding ball. And I'm not sure why you called me Parker.