Useless

Another weekend is already upon me!

I received a package yesterday. It was my first and probably only parcel of mail to receive here at the farm. It was from a special lady in my life* and contained the contacts I left at home, as well as some unexpected goodies. This included a bunch of candy. I opened the package while sitting at the lunch table with all my farm peeps and so passed the gummy worms and tootsie rolls around the table. Candy is not a usual part of our diet here at the farm, where the norm is organic produce, goat milk, black beans, and homemade ice cream, but it was welcome. So thank you, special lady.

Also in the package was a book of useless information, which I thought would be useful in the girls' composting toilet. Haha, not in the toilet, but in the room where the toilet is contained. I crack myself up. And I always enjoy some reading material when . . . during that part of my day.

Today I helped with the Village Store, which is the fair trade store at the farm. There was a bunch of stuff that just came in. It felt like Christmas, opening all the boxes and seeing all the cool stuff fairly traded from around the world. You should come visit me at the farm, if nothing else, to buy something at the store.

(the below picture has nothing to do with the Village Store, aside from the fact that it was taken down the road from it)

While the above picture was loading, I went to the bathroom and this is something I learned:

Polar bear fur is not white, it's clear. Polar bear skin is actually black. Their hair is hollow and acts like fiber optics, directing sunlight to warm their skin.

Fascinating!



*The "special lady in my life" refers to my mother, not my female life partner, which is what I realized that sounded like when reading over this post after its publication. I don't have one of those, as I find myself to be romantically attracted to boys. Just fyi, in case there was any confusion.

 

4 comments:

Josh said...

Good clarification. That was a close call, I thought I lost my shot!

Anonymous said...

fasincating. haha. that's not a word.

but that fact is fascinating.

Nancy said...

Ha ha!! (to that last paragraph)

I almost called you and told you to put that book where you're going put that book. !!


Hmm. I may need to go shopping at a farm in Elm Mott soon!!

scott said...

yay for the farm!!!! miss youuu

scott