Lent

I told you I'd tell you how going toWorld Hunger Farm went on Friday. Well here I go. First I ate lunch with some of the live-in volunteers and a group visiting from A&M. It was a tad awkward, because like I said, I kind of just showed up, but it was cool nonetheless. We had food all grown on the farm--some sort of rabbit stew, cornbread, sweet potatoes (I think), and kale. Then I joined in on the A&M group's tour of the farm. It is a really neat place, and it was a beautiful day. Then I peeled some pecan shells. I don't know the correct term. Cracked pecan shells? Che-ev. And that was all I did that day. I'm going to go back next Friday and hopefully the next and for the rest of the semester. Sweet stuff.

In other news, I've decided to give up meat for Lent. Two of my roommates are vegetarians, so they will help me out. Why meat? I'm not really sure. I just want to challenge myself I guess, and see what being a vegetarian would be like. I haven't decided if I will eat fish or not. Both of my vegetarian roommates eat fish, so really they are pescatarians. I don't eat fish much anyway so perhaps that won't be an issue. I have taken a liking to sushi though . . but Lent isn't really about what I like. It's about the opposite kind of--it's giving up what I like. I like my cousin Rob's take on Lent. It's not really the thing that I'm giving up that's the big deal, it's being conscious of the season and anticipating the coming of Easter. Last year I gave up sweets. The year before I gave up sodas and Collins' cookies (it's a dining hall that had delicious cookies). This year during Lent I will also keep of Facebook as I have been doing. I think I'll get back on after Easter. We'll see.

What do you guys thing about Lent?

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oo, nice prompt for a discussion. I like Lent. Last year was my first year to participate, and I gave up sodas. It was hard, but also rewarding. I haven't decided what I'll do this year...I should probably make that decision before wednesday.

I was thinking maybe no use of vending machines or something like that. I use a vending machine basically every day, either at school or at work. They just sit there and stare at me while you're on a break, waiting for me to spend my money and scarf down some unhealthy food. It'd be hard to do because I'd need to bring my own snacks and stuff, but it would be good since I'd think about why I was doing it every time I packed a snack for that day. You know? Hmm. We'll see.

Nancy said...

Hmm. I'm going to have to give this some thought.
I better think FAST.

Nancy said...

I just read an article about not complaining for 21 days. That 21 days is how long it takes to learn a habit. (I knew that, by the way.) Anyway, I've decided to give up complaining for Lent. (It seems someone in your apartment gave up complaining last year. Is that right?)

robert said...

Hmmmm...I just tried to comment, but it sent some message to me in Dutch. Let's see if this works this time.

Anyways, meat is a cool thing to give up, cause that what lent used to be about, not eating meat. At least in some places it was like that. So way to be traditional.

Also: Europe is great, we just got back from Istanbul, it was so much fun. Hope all is well on the home front!