Hm

Ho hum, my week is almost done. Not much has happened in my life of note. Just tests and reading and eating and sleeping. Weeks are going by faster now. It's a happy and sad thing. I don't really have much to say this week. Instead, here's a cute picture of Rach and I taken at Claire's aforementioned birthday party. A picture is worth a thousand words right?

I like how Rach's arm pushing on mine make me look somewhat toned.

Speaking of that, I'm going to work out.

No, I want to write something interesting.

I learned yesterday in my Women in American Society class that a man's high school diploma is worth as much as a woman's bachelor's degree. In other words, a man with a high school diploma, on average, earns as much as a woman with a bachelor's degree. My professor, who is a woman with a Ph.D., said that when Baylor first offered her a job, she found out that she was offered $1000 less than a man who was offered the same job. She confronted the powers-that-be about it and their response was they offered her less because her husband had a job. "But what about me?" was her response, "this is about me, not my husband." Eventually she got her way.

Isn't that crazy though? Two guys in that class chuckled when they heard that, about the earning power of a man's diploma versus a woman's BA. Some of my guy friends like to joke about it too, how it's worth more to be a man. I kind of laugh along, but really,I don't thinks it's funny. I'm working hard here, as are my girlfriends. We deserve just as much as anything our guy friends would earn. It's not a joke, it's our future.

Grr.

 

4 comments:

caroline said...

amen! preach it sistah!

but seriously.. that really gets me worked up.

Nancy said...

Grr.

and
Ahhh. (about the picture of you and Rachael.)

Anonymous said...

It really is sad. And I'm not a feminist. But it's still sad.

And boy, your hair grows quickly. It looks nice.

Molly said...

loveeeeee it. and love your feminism post. i get annoyed about the negative connotations with that word too, and i agree, most people probably are feminists, if they thought about it. and woman jokes aren't funny, because people believe them. like racist jokes. not funny.

miss you!