Feminism

"Feminist" is such a loaded word. It makes a lot of people uncomfortable. It brings to mind man-hating, bra-burning, possibly-gay, women. Kind of the way the word "Christian" makes some people uncomfortable. They think of judgmental, money-hungry, smooth-talking, televangelists. In reality, that is not what Christianity is about, and in reality, feminism isn't about hating men or destroying perfectly good underwear. It's about equality. It's about giving everyone a chance. I'm a feminist, and chances are you are too. Do you think both genders should have the same opportunities to participate and be leaders in society? To vote? To be CEOs? To coach sports? To be president? To take care of the home? To teach a third grade class? To tell jokes? To preach? I think most of you believe women to be capable of doing any of the above. Not to say all women are capable of doing everything, like not all men are capable of everything. The issue shouldn't be on gender, the issue should be on ability.

Sorry to get on a soapbox, it just bugs me that Feminism is often talked about with such disdain--"femininazis" and what have you. It's just about equality. What's so scary about equality? And equality is not the same as sameness. Men and women are different, that's pretty obvious, but they should still be equals. It's not about turning men into women or women into men, but about appreciating each person's unique perspective and abilities, and learning from each other.

Hm, that's not what I signed on to write a post about at all. I was going to talk about how pretty today was and how I didn't go to church this morning because I slept, but then went to the park instead, Bible and journal in tow. And I was going to tell you the fun fact that Waco's Cameron Park is the second largest part in the US within city limits, the first being Central Park in New York City. And I was going to tell you how I inadvertently sat down in the middle of a disc-golf course at the aforementioned park and had frisbees flying over my head for a good portion of the time I was there, accompanied by rowdy, swearing men. I was going to say it was distracting, but entertaining.

But I didn't talk about any of that. Instead I rattled on about feminism. Professor Mueller would be proud.

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went to the park yesterday too. It was very nice.

I'm either going by myself on the trip or with Will, depending on whether or not he'll still want to go when the day comes.

I was counting on you for suggestions! You are a creative one, yes you are. But no pressure.

Nancy said...

I guess I never thought of myself as a feminist, but your post has convinced me that I am. It's fun learning new things about myself.
Thanks.