diet, excerise, and Assisi

So we've past our one month mark. Now people are starting to diet and excercise, after all that pasta, pizza, wine, and gelato. Like me, I've taken to running every now and then (as in twice so far). You really feel like you live somewhere when you run there, leaving all the tourists in your dust. Some of my other roommates have put themselves on diets. Others have just decided not to buy anymore Nutella. I don't know if I'm that strong. Just now, looking up Nutella on Wikipedia, it's all I can do to not go to the kitchen right now and finish my almost empty chair. And the jars of Nutella I buy here can double as a glass after you've eaten all of the chocolately insides. Hey recycling! So really, my eating Nutella is beneficial to the environment.

But I'll restrain myself for the moment.

You want to know what's weird? I've been in class for a month, midterms are in two weeks, and the only grade I have right now to speak of is an Italian quiz I took last week. That's been my first and only grade so far. That feels weird.


I went to Assisi (as in St. Francis of) and Orvieto (another cute town in Umbria, located on a cliff) this weekend. Precious places. One of my favorite parts was the Basilica di San Francesco--this beautiful church built in honor of St. Francis. It is also where his tomb is located. There were so many people there, but they were all so silent and reverent. It makes one better understand why people decided to build these big, beautiful cathedrals. They inspire so much awe. You can't not think about God in them.

P.S. I love sending postcards, but what I like almost even better is recieving mail. It's like a breathe of fresh air--a letter from home. Just so you know . . .

 

4 comments:

Nancy said...

I'm sorry I haven't sent you any mail! You said you had trouble getting packages, so I just assumed you had trouble getting all mail. I could have sent cards from around Europe. Oo la la. RATS.
Hopefully soon you'll get a postcard from your famous hometown, Colleyville. That is, if the tourists haven't bought them all up! (By the way we'll be there late tomorrow night.)

That is a great picture of that Basilica. Beautiful.

Ciao.

Wil Carmack said...

i love you

Nate said...

Howdy Laura! I see that Europes going well. I love European Cathedrals. The one I went to in Croatia is sweet, but it's in Zagreb, the capitol. I'll let you know exactly what's hot by email because I need to get the names again, but I do know that Split is awesome. Croatia is just a beautiful place. Good choice.

theweave said...

omg i have nutella in my pantry right now