Laura's Hair

I'm at my little cubicle in the art building, being a TA. It smells like burnt plastic. PU. It reminds me of the smell of perms. When I was younger I really wanted curly hair and would get perms (that would last about a week). Later, like in middle school, I got a perm because I wanted to be like Felicity.

Ah hair. My hair has been burned, dyed, fried, straightened, and curled. Since I've been a Baylor though, I have let it be how it wants. Freshman year I continued to straighten my hair (which is silly because it is already relatively straight). The summer of freshman year, while working at Sky Ranch, I had the revelation that I didn't have to brush my hair, I could just let it be free. And why was everyone so deathly afraid of split ends? Split ends don't affect my quality of life. Since then I have had a pretty healthy relationship with my hair, I think. I usually let it be how it wants, unless there is a special occasion I need to tame it for. I've also taken to cutting it myself, which is pretty liberating and fulfilling.

So there's that. I don't know where that all came from.

 

3 comments:

Nancy said...

I remember your perms . . . and the pained look in your eyes when you were getting them. mm...memories.

Being Beth said...

I agree 100%, Laura - same for make-up. I seldom wear it and have become very satisfied with letting my beauty come from within. It's nice to be comfortable in my own skin.

caroline said...

i permed my hair when i was 9.
even tho i already have felicity hair.
but my friend across the street permed hers,
and i HAD to have everything she had.
so my mom permed it for me..
and it fried and burned and my hair looked like dreadlocks for a few weeks... eek.

and i dont think i have ever NOT had split ends.
i just have a whole head of crazy split ends!

i'm with you, just let it be free!