some more about women

1 Timothy 2:12-15

12I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent. 13For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. 15But women will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety.

Galatians 3:28
28There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

1 Corinthians 14:34-35
34women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says. 35If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.

John 4:21-26; 39
21Jesus declared, "Believe me, woman, a time is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. . . 24God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth."
25The woman said, "I know that Messiah" (called Christ) "is coming. When he comes, he will explain everything to us."
26Then Jesus declared, "I who speak to you am he. . ."
39Many of the Samaritans from that town believed in him because of the woman's testimony . . ."


I know it's unfair to give you verses outside of their context, but you can look them up more if you are curious (NIV). This is some of the stuff we have been wrestling with in class--the writings of Paul and the life of Jesus, how to reconcile seemingly opposing messages.

Did you know that when women were trying to get the right to vote, many used verses like 1 Corinthians 14:34-35 to argue against it? A vote is a voice, and women are to be silent.

According to 1 Timothy 2:15 I'm not saved because I don't have children.

It's problematic to take all of literal scripture as eternal truth. I believe there is eternal truth in scripture, but it is oftentimes below the surface.

I have a test in this tomorrow, that's why it's on my mind. I could keep going and going but I probably shouldn't. I have class anyhow.

 

6 comments:

Rob said...

I'm glad you liked the poem! I never get tired of Taylor Mali.

Haha, the comment that I deleted was absurd. I was constructing all of these counter-arguments and thoughts regarding women in ministry and then, immediately after I posted it, I realized, "I'm arguing with 'Anonymous.' Any fundamentalist lunatic with a thesaurus and a computer could have written that." So, I decided that I wasn't going to get into a whole thing on your blog with some faceless person. That's why I deleted it. I decided that I was being absurd by taking a person seriously when they didn't even put their name next to their thoughts.

Rob said...

I'm glad you liked the poem! I never get tired of Taylor Mali.

Haha, the comment that I deleted was absurd. I was constructing all of these counter-arguments and thoughts regarding women in ministry and then, immediately after I posted it, I realized, "I'm arguing with 'Anonymous.' Any fundamentalist lunatic with a thesaurus and a computer could have written that." So, I decided that I wasn't going to get into a whole thing on your blog with some faceless person. That's why I deleted it. I decided that I was being absurd by taking a person seriously when they didn't even put their name next to their thoughts.

Rob said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rob said...

Sorry. I have no idea why the comment repeated itself so many times. That must have been very disappointing for you to see that you had so many comments and realize that it was just me.Sorry. I have no idea why the comment repeated itself so many times. That must have been very disappointing for you to see that you had so many comments and realize that it was just me.

laura said...

haha. its okay. and now i wonder if it was anonymous who posted above you

Nancy said...

Interesting comments - and deletions.

And I can see how those verses are used by some in very restrictive ways, but against the woman's right to vote? Whoa.