Derek Webb

I recently procured Derek Webb's album, Mockingbird, and have been listening to it pretty constantly these last few days. His lyrics are so challenging and in your face, I love it. Like in the song A King and a Kingdom: "My first allegiance is not to a flag, a country, or a man. My first allegiance is not to democracy or blood, it's to a king & a kingdom. There are two great lies that I'’ve heard: 'the day you eat of the fruit of that tree, you will not surely die' and that Jesus Christ was a white, middle-class republican and if you wanna be saved you have to learn to be like Him." Zing. And I like in Rich Young Ruler: "Poverty is so hard to see when it'’s only on your tv and twenty miles across town. Where we're all living so good that we moved out of Jesus' neighborhood where he's hungry and not feeling so good from going through our trash. He says, more than just your cash and coin I want your time, I want your voice I want the things you just can'’t give me."

Good stuff. And he's giving away this CD for free at freederekwebb.com. That's how I got it.

Oh yes, and happy Labor Day. Not classes were had today by me. Holla. And it rained! That's exciting. We grilled out. Here is photographic evidence of that.

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so good.
And that picture is so good.
mm.

Anonymous said...

i just recently acquired that album as well--it's good stuff i agree

-april