Study Break

I'll take a brief break from studying to share with you for a sec. A tombstone we studied in my American Art class had a poem on it that I like. I don't mean this to be morbid, I'm just studying for that class at this moment and . .I don't know . . I just like it. Deal with it. Sometimes I'm morbid.

"Adieu, my friend forever ever gone,
Her happy soul has put full glory on.
The tendrest ties could never her detain
But O our loss is her most happy gain.
Gentle her manners were, her tastes refined
Her speech sincere and open as her heart
Her conversation did delight impart.
Though young she listened to the voice of truth
And trod a savior’s steps in early youth.
Calm and serene she yielded up her breath
And even triumphed at the approach of death.

Sacred to the memory of Miss Mercy Jones
Who died April 7, 1805
Aged 20 years & 6 months
"


And one more thing--Friday I went to an Ani Difranco concert with two of my favorite males in my life (Will and Ryan, brother and boyfriend, respectively). I have never smiled so much at a concert in my life. It is so fun to watch Ani rock out.

Rock on.

 

2 comments:

Nancy said...

I really like that poem on that tombstone. Thanks for sharing it.

I'll have to check out Ani Difranco again. I remember the video earlier on your blog. She does seem like fun. Out of the box and refreshing.

It was great to see you Saturday.

Happy autumn!

Anonymous said...

I don't think it's morbid really.. "Morbid" poetry-wise makes me think of E. Poe or W. Faulkner or E. Dickenson. Or me :) j/k

I like it a lot. I need post some of those illegal pics I took the other night at the show... there were a couple decent ones.<3 And I'm glad I got to be there with ya.