Tis the eve of my first day of class.

I'm at Art Six right now, one of Denton's fine local houses of coffee. I anticipate spending much time here in the future, studying and such. And listening to music. And chillin with friends. If you fall under that category, come to Denton and chill with me!

While sitting here eating my pizza bagel, I finished the third book of C.S. Lewis' space trilogy--That Hideous Strength. It is so good! Of course it is, it is C.S. Lewis. It has been a very Lewis summer for me. It started with Til We Have Faces in May, and after finishing that I started on the space trilogy, which I just finished. Such a good time investment! And it's perfect, since classes start tomorrow. My first class is a Ceramics class at 11, which I'm not actually registered for yet. Hopefully that works out and I can take it for real (I need special permission since it is a undergraduate class and I am a graduate student).

What book should I embark on next? I'm tempted to keep the C.S. Lewis streak going, perhaps a re-read of Mere Christianity. Any other suggestions, Lewis or not?

 

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Have you read SCREWTAPE LETTERS? - I read it years ago- and need to again.

See you tomorrow night!!

Wil Carmack said...

A Neil Gaiman Book! "Good Omens" is really good.

Being Beth said...

THE INKLINGS by Humphrey Carpenter is something you might like. It's kind of a biography of C.S. Lewis, but it's also much more than that, in that it deals with the relationship between Lewis, his brother Warren, J.R.R. Tolkien, and other Oxford friends who met together on Thursdays to read aloud from the books they were writing, and they called themselves "The Inklings." It's a fascinating look into Lewis' life and how he developed in his faith, his relationships, as well as a writer. I really enjoyed it.

And, I've recommended HEART OF FLESH by Joan Chittister to you before, and if you haven't read it yet, I still highly recommend it to you.

Let me know if you are interested in some fiction titles, and I'll give you some I've enjoyed this summer.

Molly said...

i love The Last Battle. and The Magician's Nephew. they are fascinating.


or, this summer i read The Unlikely Disciple, about an agnostic at Jerry Falwell's university. that was also really good.