I worked on a house with Habitat this morning and it was such fun. Before, I was doing Habitat for Humanity mainly just to feel good about myself. This semester I wanted to get involved in something, and I felt like it should be something service oriented, so Habitat seemed like a nice fit. I'd go to meetings and work on some weekends, but never really enjoyed myself, was just doing it to be a good person and all that that entails. But this morning was different, I don't know why. One thing I really enjoyed about it was I worked a lot with non Baylor people. I don't realize how much of a bubble I'm in until I step outside of it. Really, the only people I spend time with are people who are connected with Baylor. Even at church, pretty much everyone goes/graduated from Baylor. And that's great, I love Baylor people, but its good to step out of that and spend time with people or are totally different from me. Perhaps build a house with them every once and awhile. I also worked harder than usual. I used to be really tentative around the site, not wanting to do anything wrong and make myself look foolish. I kind of got over that today and just got my hands dirty. It was fun.

The only bad part is I whacked my left thumb pretty bad with a hammer. I have a sizable blood blister that formed next to my nail, and I can tell that under my nail polish, my nail is purple. Yes yes, sympathy is welcome.

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't/don't go to Baylor, so I guess our friendship is special ;) Haha just kidding. I mean, it is, but you know what I mean...ok anyway. Oh no! Your poor thumb! That sounds quite painful. I am sorry. What day are you coming home? Your brother seems to know nothing about when you will be here, so he is no help to me. I guess I should have gone straight to the source. That's you.

Anonymous said...

My extreme condolences go out to you and your thumb. Ah, the suffering one can experience when helping others. It is blessed, though painful.

I love to read 'the cheese factory'. 'Tis a highlight of my day.

Bailey Jo wondered about your return to your homeland for the great Pilgrim feast. I wonder as well. . . but will find out soon, I know.

Soon we'll get our pumpkin pie fix. Oh yes. mmm.

mm