Travel

I have been very fortunate in the last couple of years to be able to travel a lot. First to Kenya and Europe, and since then I have gone to places in the States I had never been before--San Francisco, Seattle, Long Island, Denver. This weekend I will add to that list by going to New York City. I'll take a big bite of the Big Apple with one of my Art History classes: History of the Modern Self Portrait. It will be a very art-filled bite. In all we will spend about fifteen hours inside art museums (The MOMA, The Met, The Guggenheim, etc.). Hope I don't choke.

I know that last paragraph sounded really pretentious. But really, I just feel really blessed to be able to travel so much. It's fun. I remember my roommate Elise wisely saying that she finds it annoying when people gauge her value by how many plane tickets she has purchased. This was in response to a guy who all of a sudden found her really interesting when he found out she lived in Lithuania for the summer. She was also really interesting before she lived to Lithuania too. I know lots of people who are really interesting and knowledgeable who haven't traveled outside of the country, and lots more who have and are close-minded and foolish. Hmph.

I wonder which one I am. Probably somewhere in the middle. .

 

5 comments:

Being Beth said...

Unless you've changed a whole lot, you are anything but closed minded and foolish. In fact, the older you get the more open minded you seem and you ARE interesting. I don't waste time on boring blogs. You're also down to earth and real. All qualities I really like to see in my friends.

Nancy said...

You're anything but close minded and foolish! Wonderful, more like it.

Anonymous said...

i just wrote out a fairly long comment only to have it erased when i tried to post...arg.

anyhow. i said: amen to both of the above comments. and yeah, in my experience, i find it hard to correlate a person's worth/interesting-ness/wiseness largely by what their passport says, although it is certainly a potential opportunity for growth,depth,education- it could easily be none of those.

and i'm happy i'm able to quasi-experience your travels as you always share nearly every detail with me, not to mention, postcards, notes, etc. i am also very blessed.

hope you ate lots of the miracle that is icecream tonight.
i like ewe.

caroline said...

You are so NOT closed-minded.

It's awesome to be able to travel the world, and experience things outside your everyday life.
It really is a blessing!

I'm excited to know which NYC museum you liked best!

Anonymous said...

NYC is soo neat! Hope you had a good time!